Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Randomness

Random event from early spring crammed into one post. First, the most interesting and exciting:

The kids and I were playing in the backyard, Noah was napping in his swing just inside the door. We were in and out with toys and whatnot. I turn around to get in, and the back door is shut and locked! Who's inside? Baby Noah (6 weeks old) and Justin (2.5 years old). Justin had locked the door. You can see in the picture that we have three locks on the door-a doorknob lock, a dead bolt, and an extra dead bolt that you can only lock from the inside-no keyhole on the outside of the door. Justin had managed to lock all three, but the top one is pretty sticky and he couldn't UNlock it. We have a house key outside that I could use, but it doesn't help if someone inside has locked the top lock. So...after staying calm and trying to get him to unlock it, Lindsey and I run to the front door but we run into the same problem. He can only undo the bottom two locks-not the top dead bolt. I keep trying to get him to try and open it, but after awhile he starts getting worried/scared so I have to back off. Finally, I go to my neighbor's house to use her phone to call Jared. (She must think I'm crazy...we don't talk much-she's two houses down. And the last time I talked to her was to drop my kids off for a minute while I tried to put a fire out in my oven! ) Jared comes home, but can't help either because there's no keyhole for the locks. Now it's been a good 20-25 minutes. Justin's visibly disturbed and Lindsey's pretty put out. So, Jared and I draw two conclusions. First, call a locksmith. But, the only thing they could do is break the doorframe because there's no lock to pick.  Second, Jared could chuck a brick through the window in the backdoor and get us in. That's the choice we took. Little did I know what an event it would be to clean up!!  See the glass on the floor? It's a double paned window and actually took 3 throws to get the brick through. The silver lining? It is safety glass so not REALLY sharp.


Brick went in, glass went EVERYWHERE! I had no idea. It stretched all the way across the family room-all across the couches, everything on the floor etc... Notice sweet Noah who slept through the whole ordeal.

The broken window.


The glass on the outside.


It was NO fun to clean up. I ended up calling a friend to watch the older kids while I cleaned b/c I realized it was going to take too long and be too hard to entertain kids and clean up.

Sometime in the middle of cleaning I got hungry and heated up some chicken and rice in the microwave. Who can guess what happened? I dropped it-and the chicken and rice was all over my kitchen. It was quite the crazy clean up day!


More randomness. Sweet kiddos before bedtime.


Big brother with spikey hair!



More sleepy kids!


My sweet Justin, wrapped in an afghan my grandmother made. It's so special to me and I love seeing him enjoying it!

1 comment:

Kari said...

Exciting day!