Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Triathlon

I don't know why, but completing a triathlon has been on my bucket list :).  This past summer, the stars aligned and the timing was right for me to train all summer for one! I found a 13 weeks training schedule and did a pretty good job sticking to it. The kids got toted to the gym a LOT. It felt so good to work out, picturing myself competing. After our summer vacation and losing some ground I was discouraged and almost gave up, but I pushed through and it paid off! On Labor Day I completed my first tri! It was a sprint-400m swim, 12 mile bike, 5k run. Vickie loaned me her old bike and it was so nice and light. It was the Towne Lake Triathlon and while the water was a perfect temperature the visibility was literally zero! That made the swim somewhat difficult. Plus I held back in my heat because I figured I wasn't a strong swimmer but I'm better than I thought and I got stuck behind a few people :).  The bike was a breeze and the run was brutal! After biking when I started to run I felt like my legs were made of jello and I just couldn't get them to move very fast. But either way, I finished!! It was one of the best feelings ever.

Pre-race. In my tri-suit. A comfy, embarrassing spandex piece :)
 
 
 Post-race with my awesome medal (and shirt that I threw on after the swim). Jared and the kids came to watch me finish and were there but somehow didn't see me! That was a bummer.
 
My car decal! I bought it several weeks before the race and put it on the afternoon after my race :)

1 comment:

Jules said...

So awesome that you did this! Way to go!